Civic Engagement Project : Pasadena
Civic Engagement Project in Pasadena
by Claire Yabut
Phase 1 : The Site (Pasadena, California)
I chose this site because when I first arrived here in America, the Pasadena area (specifically Old Town Pasadena), stood out to me because it became part of my daily routine. When I went to school and work before, I always pass the area and notice a very lively energy because of the people and its stores. It felt like there was so much stores or cafes hidden behind the main road I usually go through. I realized I have not really taken the time to explore and appreciate the details of this place so I took this project as an opportunity to experience and get know it.
Phase 2 : Field Work
Einstein & Beyond
Gifford Myers, 1998
ceramic, fiberglass, marble, glass, iron and steel
85 E Holly St (exterior of Pasadena Senior Center)
This is a mural that shows the three dimensional window photos of Pasadena, San Gabriel Mountains and the City Hall with two images of Albert Einstein smiling and riding a bicycle behind.
Pasadena Robinson Memorial
John Outterbridge, Ralph Helmick, Stuart Schechter, 1997
bronze
95 N Garfield Ave
Illuminated Fig Leaves
Kim Abeles, 2001
steel
Pacific Alley, Raymond Avenue at Holly St
Pacific Alley, Raymond Avenue at Holly St
The fig presents the historic and cultural activity in the community of Pasadena. The artists who are represented in this art have lived, worked and exhibited in the area and reveal their artworks that they have worked on.
Pua'i wai
Billy Al Bengston, 1994
steel and aluminum
159 N Marengo Ave (Holly Street Village Apartments)
Bengston designed the courtyard of Holly Street Village Apartments with this sculpture, allowing the piece to function as a whirligig wind direction locator and a sun dial.
Billy Al Bengston, 1994
steel, aluminum
159 N Marengo Ave at Ramona St (Holly Street Village Apartments)
Another sculpture created by Bengston to make an appealing and inviting entrance to the Holly Street Village Apartments.
The public artwork represents people who have contributed to the community of Pasadena. The citizens and artists honor these people to preserve their legacy and give recognition to the impact they have made on during their time. Some of the artworks were created for aesthetic purposes like the ones in the Holly Street Village apartments to make an inviting and welcoming atmosphere for the visitors. According to my research, some of the public art in Pasadena is funded by the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Public Art Fund. Some are funded by private developments if their permits get approved by reaching a requirement. The histories centered in the city are the soldiers who served their community and individuals like Jackie and Mack Robinson who showed significant change in the city. Overall, I think that the art pieces in Pasadena has a balance of historical, cultural and aesthetic purposes that creates a balance for the viewers to enjoy and at the same time learn and reflect about the history of the city.
Public art is impactful to the community it is in. In Pasadena, I really appreciated how they built memorials for the soldiers and said individuals to celebrate, remember and honor them. These people teaches the community by their achievements and even encourage some to research about them. I enjoyed reading what the Robinsons did and it made me feel closer to the community. The one I liked the least was the 'Puka o ka moku' art because I feel like it was not impactful as the others, like the 'Illuminated Fig Leaves' or the 'Pua'i wai'. I think if the art is "outdated", it should be removed or replaced by an artwork by another artist. In that way, other artists have an opportunity to share their creations and build their name. I would recommend more murals, in some areas of Pasadena (other than the main street in Old Town) to make it more lively and inviting. Involving the community or residents of the city, as well as having interactive arts could also invite more people in to try and experience the city. When selecting artists for the public art, the city should look more into the ones who really try to connect with the community. I think that people who have this passion are the ones who are powerful in making an impact to the residents and tourists. Finally, I believe that a balance of historical, cultural and aesthetic artworks would impact more people, not just the residents, to create a sense of belonging and collaborating with one another.
Sources:
https://www.publicartinpublicplaces.info/public-art-einstein-and-beyond-1998-by-gifford-myers
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/ed89ce61a98f4808b1b7273c0ac5020c?item=3
https://www.cityofpasadena.net/public-art/artwork/pasadena-robinson-memorial/
https://www.cityofpasadena.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/Guidelines-for-City-Contruction-CIP-Projects.pdf








Comments
Post a Comment