Civic Engagement Project - Boyle Heights, CA

 Civic Engagement Project - Boyle Heights, CA

Art 3170 - Whose City? Public Art, Power, and Representation in Los Angeles

By Juliana Pina


Phase 1: The Site

    I chose Boyle Heights because it was actually a place I was already familiar with. Being that it’s fairly close to where I live, whenever I travel within Los Angeles, I usually pass by or drive through Boyle Heights. I had been there many times, but never actually stopped to explore the public art or really think about the history it includes. The neighborhood I chose is Boyle Heights. I believe it is one of the most culturally and historically important neighborhoods in Los Angeles. The murals in the area represent the Chicano movement, immigration, music, faith, and activism in the community. I chose this particular neighborhood because I have already visited it. I thought that this would give me the option to go beyond just walking through the area and actually absorb it. I wanted to see the murals and reflect on what they say about the past and present of the neighborhood and its people and what they represent for them moving forward. As a Public Health major, I am passionate about how neighborhoods can use public spaces to enhance their sense of community and preserve their cultural memories. With that in mind, I selected Boyle Heights, the murals reflected the voices and experiences of the people who lived and contributed to the development of the neighborhood throughout the years, while also stimulating the visitors to reflect on who’s stories are honored and memorialized.  

Phase 2: Field Work

    I had a chance to visit Boyle Heights with its mural art and public art. I studied mural art in this neighborhood that represent their culture, identity, history, and traditions. I studied a significant city where murals portray association with community in Boyle Heights and public art as a media to celebrate and honor cultural memory of its people.


This mural is located Estrada Courts, Boyle Heights. An iconic mural from Boyle Heights and an important piece of the Chicano Movement is “We Are Not a Minority”. The mural reflects the themes of equality, cultural pride, and the idea that Mexican Americans are a major part of Los Angeles' history and should utilize respect.



"El Corrido de Boyle Heights" sing the history and lifestyle of the area. The mural depicts families, workers, artists and residents; and preserves the traditions that made Boyle Heights thrive for mulitple generations. It emphasizes the value of heritage, immigration, family and identity while reminding the onlookers that the history of the area has become part of the identity of the people. This mural is located Mariachi Plaza and Soto Street.


"La Virgen de Guadalupe" mural is important because it is a religious and cultural icon to the Mexican American community. The mural signifies the importance of faith, culture, and mariachi music to the Boyle Heights community. The Mariachi Plaza offers a unique meeting for the people and musicians to continue sharing their love for the culture, making the mural a recognizable symbol of the Boyle Heights neighborhood. This mural is located in Mariachi Plaza in Boyle Heights.


Phase 3: Critical Analysis

Upon further research on these murals, one thing that stood out to me was that they were all culturally relevant to the history of Boyle Heights. “We Are Not a Minority” embodies the spirit of Chicano pride, equality, and the fight to get it the recognition it deserves. "El Corrido de Boyle Heights" is a tribute to all the families, workers, musicians, and traditions that brung the neighborhood to life. The original mural "La Virgen de Guadalupe" embodies the importance of faith to the Mexican American community and their culture.

All in all, the murals demonstrate that Boyle Heights’s public art does not merely serve as decoration. Rather, it shares a rich community narrative, documents the cultural heritage of the people, and provides a platform for residents to project their identity and socioeconomic status. Moreover, they ask the tourists to reconsider the idea of whose story is being told in public spaces.


Phase 4: Proposal

Furthermore, based on my experience in Boyle Heights, I feel the neighborhood should put up more community murals to commemorate both their past and future. Moving forward, they should also include more youth and education, health and public awareness issues, etc. with emphasis on their heritage.

These murals can be installed around schools, parks, or community complexes, and developed with the aid of local artists along with residents in the area. By engaging the community in the planning and designing process, upcoming public artworks can further inspire the youth while keeping the essence of Boyle Heights and its people’s voices and principles. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Civic Engagement project

Discovering Beauty Within Silver Lake and Echo Park.

Civic Engagement Project - Glendal