Al Sadeqe
Art 3170
Civic Engagement Project Koreatown, Los Angeles
Phase 1: Site Selection
For this project, I chose Koreatown in Los Angeles, which is my own neighborhood. I selected this area because I spend a lot of time here and wanted to better understand the public art that is part of my everyday surroundings. Koreatown is one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Los Angeles, with a rich cultural history and a mix of public spaces that reflect both the past and the present.
I was interested in seeing how public art tells the story of the community and who is represented through these works. During my visit, I focused on three locations: RFK Inspiration Park, the Korean War Memorial, and the public artwork at the Wilshire/Vermont Metro Station. Together, these sites show different ways that public art can educate, honor history, and improve public spaces.
Phase 2: Fieldwork
During my visit, I documented three examples of public art that each serve a unique purpose in the community.
Photograph 1 – RFK Inspiration Park
Location: Robert F. Kennedy Inspiration Park, Koreatown, Los Angeles
Description:
RFK Inspiration Park is a public space that honors the legacy of Robert F. Kennedy. The park combines landscaping, walkways, and artistic design to create a peaceful place where visitors can reflect on leadership, justice, and community service. Rather than displaying a single sculpture, the entire park functions as a memorial that encourages people to gather, learn, and remember.
Photograph 2 – Koreatown Gateway
Location: Koreatown Gateway, Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles
Description:
The Koreatown Gateway is a symbolic entrance to the neighborhood and celebrates Korean culture and identity in Los Angeles. Inspired by traditional Korean architecture, the gateway welcomes both residents and visitors while recognizing the neighborhood's cultural heritage. Unlike a memorial that honors a specific person or event, the gateway represents the community as a whole and serves as a visual landmark that reflects pride in Koreatown's history and traditions. It also helps strengthen the neighborhood's identity by making its cultural presence visible in a busy urban environment.
Photograph 3 – Wilshire/Vermont Metro Station
Location: Wilshire/Vermont Metro Station, Los Angeles
Description:
The Wilshire/Vermont Metro Station features colorful graphic ceramic tile murals created by artist Bob Zoell. Unlike a memorial, these murals are designed to become part of everyday life for commuters. The artwork makes the station feel more welcoming and shows how public art can improve shared spaces while adding creativity to a routine experience.
After visiting all three locations, I noticed that each artwork serves a different purpose. RFK Inspiration Park encourages reflection and community gathering, the Korean War Memorial preserves history and honors sacrifice, and Bob Zoell's Metro artwork adds creativity and identity to a public transportation space. Together, these works demonstrate that public art can take many forms while still connecting people to their community.
Phase 3: Critical Analysis
Looking at these three sites together helped me understand how public art shapes the identity of a neighborhood. Although each artwork has a different purpose, they all encourage people to interact with public spaces in meaningful ways.
The Korean War Memorial focuses on remembering history and honoring veterans. It represents an important part of Korean and American history while recognizing the sacrifices made during the war. Because Koreatown has a large Korean American population, this memorial creates a strong connection between the neighborhood and its cultural heritage.
RFK Inspiration Park represents a different kind of public art. Instead of focusing only on one historical event, it encourages visitors to think about leadership, equality, and community involvement. The park creates an environment where people can relax while also reflecting on Robert F. Kennedy's contributions to civil rights and social justice.
The Wilshire/Vermont Metro Station murals by Bob Zoell serve another purpose. Rather than honoring history, they improve an everyday public space through color and design. Thousands of people pass through the station every day, and the artwork helps make the environment more inviting while showing that art can exist outside museums and galleries.
While I appreciated all three locations, I noticed that most of the public art focuses on historical figures or broad civic themes. Koreatown is home to people from many different cultures and backgrounds, and I think future public art could better reflect the neighborhood's diversity by highlighting local residents, businesses, and community stories.
Another question I considered was who decides which stories are represented through public art. Many public art projects are funded by government agencies or public organizations, meaning they often reflect official priorities. I believe community members should have more opportunities to help choose future public art projects so that a wider range of voices is represented.
Phase 4: Proposal
Overall, I think Koreatown has meaningful public art that honors history and improves public spaces. However, I believe there is an opportunity to expand the types of artwork found throughout the neighborhood.
I would recommend commissioning more murals, sculptures, and installations created by local artists. These projects could celebrate the neighborhood's cultural diversity, small businesses, immigrants, students, and everyday residents. Public art should not only remember the past but also tell the stories of the people who live in the community today.
I also think the city should involve residents in selecting future public art. Public meetings, surveys, or community voting could help ensure that new artwork reflects the values and experiences of the people who use these spaces every day.
By combining historical memorials with artwork that represents modern Koreatown, the neighborhood can continue preserving its history while celebrating its present and future.
Final Reflection
This project changed the way I think about public art. Before completing this assignment, I usually walked past these places without paying much attention to them. Visiting them with a different perspective helped me realize that public art is much more than decoration. It tells stories, honors important moments in history, and creates spaces where people can connect with their community.
I also realized that different types of public art serve different purposes. Some works help preserve history, while others improve everyday public spaces or encourage people to reflect on important ideas. Overall, this experience helped me appreciate how public art influences the identity of a neighborhood and shapes the way people experience the city. I now pay more attention to the artwork around me and better understand the role it plays in representing a community.
Comments
Post a Comment