Public Art, little Tokyo by Kevin Solis
Phase 1: The Site
The reason I chose this site was because I visit little Tokyo at least once a week on my days off from work, whether I go by myself or with my brother and cousins. If you ever when to little Tokyo in LA you always notice the public art work that surrounds little Tokyo, which compose of murals, statue with plaques and the close you get to it you could read the plaque, interaction art with a rubric cubes, and also the design of the building looking like ancient Japanese villages and it makes you feel back in time if you were in Japan. When I visit I don't really pay attention of the art surrounding little Tokyo because I have a different goal when I visit, which is to go shopping. Since the announce of this project I already knew I was going to talk about the art that surrounds little Tokyo and take my time to check them out instead of walking pass by them and not giving them a second thought.
Phase 2: Field Work
Phase 3: Critical Analysis
As I'm looking at each public art I feel like there all interaction in some way with the public view. where you see the friendship knot, the rubric cube, the spaceship, and the mural of Shohei Ohtani. Each has their way of interacting with the viewer, either you could move it around, gives information on people who board the spaceship, showing a sign that mean friendship to different culture, and showing international love to a Japanese player that we all root for because he plays for our team (Los Angeles Dodgers). In all as it in little Tokyo they show Japanese culture to the public.
Phase 4: Proposal
As you go by Little Tokyo and walk around these public art are the ones that stand out the most and makes you interact an speculate the detail that he artist put into these pieces. I love the fact that each piece is some sort of way that is trying to unite different culture and even share means for example the knot, if you didn't know anything about Japanese culture you wont have known if a Japan see gave you a friendship knot like seen in the photo it means they cherish you and you wont even have known. also like I stated before the artist is trying to give unity as well with different culture just like the rubric cube where you could move it around with each cubic piece having different characteristics of a face from different diversity of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. Lasty the Challenger space shuttle gives unity by honoring the diverse, seven-member crew of the 1986 space shuttle disaster, celebrating our shared American space legacy, and specifically celebrating local hero Colonel Ellison S. Onizuka. In all I believe they all are place perfectly because most of them have enough space to make a crowd to admire each piece and its fun to walk around that plaza.





Comments
Post a Comment