Civic Engagement Project - Boyle Heights
Growing up in Boyle Heights, I experienced public art every day. The murals throughout the neighborhood are more than colorful paintings; they tell stories about the community's history, culture, and values. I often walked or drove past these murals without realizing how much they represented the people who live there. After learning about civic engagement and public art in class, I began paying closer attention to how these murals preserve Boyle Heights' identity and why protecting them is important.
PHASE 1: THE SITE
I selected Boyle Heights because it is the neighborhood where I lived and spent much of my time growing up. Seeing the murals daily made them feel like a normal part of the environment, but this project helped me recognize their cultural and historical significance. Boyle Heights has a long tradition of public art that reflects the experiences of Mexican American and Latino communities. Many murals celebrate immigration, family, cultural pride, music, social justice, and neighborhood history. These artworks transform ordinary buildings into places that educate visitors while preserving the voices of the community.
I chose this site because it is personally meaningful to me. Since I have lived in Boyle Heights, I have observed the murals over many years and noticed that some have unfortunately been damaged by graffiti and the elements.
PHASE 2: FIELD WORK
During my observations, I focused on several murals created by David and Paul Botello, two artists whose work has become closely connected with the identity of Boyle Heights. One mural that stood out to me was El Corrido de Boyle Heights. It celebrates everyday life in the neighborhood through images of families, musicians, and community traditions. The mural reflects the history of Mexican American residents and emphasizes the importance of preserving local culture. I also observed The Greatest Love, another well-known mural that has unfortunately been damaged by graffiti. Seeing layers of graffiti covering the artwork made me realize how difficult it is to preserve public art that is accessible to everyone.
The murals use vibrant colors, large-scale figures, and symbolic imagery to communicate messages about family, resilience, unity, and cultural pride. They are painted directly on building walls, making them visible to everyone who passes through the neighborhood. The community values these murals because they represent shared history and identity. However, the vandalism visible on several murals demonstrates the ongoing challenge of protecting public artwork.
PHASE 3: CRITICAL ANALYSIS
The murals throughout Boyle Heights primarily represent the experiences of Latino and Chicano communities. Rather than focusing on famous individuals, they highlight ordinary families, workers, musicians, and community members whose stories are often overlooked in mainstream history. The Botello brothers use public art to preserve cultural memory and encourage community pride. Their work reminds residents where they came from while educating visitors about Boyle Heights' history.
One of the biggest issues affecting these murals is vandalism. Graffiti can obscure important artwork, making it difficult for future generations to understand the stories it tells. Restoring murals requires significant time, funding, and community support. Educating young people about the meaning behind the murals may help reduce vandalism. These murals demonstrate that public art is not simply decoration—it is a form of storytelling, education, and civic engagement that gives the community a voice.
PHASE 4: PROPOSAL
I believe Boyle Heights should continue investing in mural preservation while expanding educational programs about the history of local public art. My proposal includes increasing funding for mural restoration, applying protective anti-graffiti coatings, installing informational plaques describing each mural and its artist, partnering with local schools for educational field trips, and creating opportunities for young artists to collaborate with experienced muralists. These efforts would preserve the neighborhood's cultural heritage while encouraging residents to respect and protect public artwork.
FINAL REFLECTION
Completing this project changed the way I view the murals in Boyle Heights. Although I grew up seeing them almost every day, I never fully understood how much history and meaning they contained. Researching the Botello brothers and learning about the challenges of preserving public art made me appreciate the murals even more. I now understand that civic engagement includes protecting cultural spaces that represent a community's identity. Public art gives neighborhoods a voice, preserves local history, and creates a sense of belonging. I hope future generations will continue to restore and respect these murals so they remain an important part of Boyle Heights for many years.
Refrences
Boyle Heights Beat. (2026). They created some of Boyle Heights’ most iconic murals. Now they’re fighting to preserve them. https://thelalocal.org/neighborhoods/boyle-heights/murals-preservation-botello-brothers/
LA2050. City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs. Information on public art and mural preservation.
Comments
Post a Comment